From: Wolfram Schlich <lists@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] reason for dhcpcd in system profile ?
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 19:20:31
1 * Marius Mauch <genone@××××××.de> [2003-08-23 21:09]:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > what's the reason for dhcpcd being in the system profile
5 > (default-x86-1.4 at least, haven't checked the others)? If it's only
6 > because it might be used in /etc/conf.d/net I think it should be
7 > removed, as there are IMO many users who don't need/want dhcpcd on their
8 > systems. I know there are a lot of people using dhcp for their network
9 > config, but why should that impose it on people not using it (e.g. I
10 > only need it on one of my three boxes)?
11 > Of course if I miss something obvious here please correct me.
12
13 dhcpcd != dhcpd, just in case you got it wrong.
14
15 Anyway, if you didn't ;), I'd say dhcpcd is worth keeping in the
16 system profile because I think it's "universal". It doesn't hurt the
17 non-dhcp users. Imagine you have just installed Gentoo on a notebook.
18 You have set it up at home where you aren't using dhcp. But then you
19 go to some location where you just need dhcp because otherwise you
20 cannot use the network. What would you do when you'd discover there's
21 no dhcpcd installed yet? Well, of course you know it better next time,
22 but I think it's nicer when it's just there by default :)
23 --
24 Wolfram Schlich; Friedhofstr. 8, D-88069 Tettnang; +49-(0)178-SCHLICH
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list