From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Saving package emerge output (einfo, elog, ewarn, etc.) somewhere official
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 00:39:02
1 Joe Peterson wrote:
2 > Peter Volkov wrote:
3 >
4 >> Seems that we already have everything you dreamed about:
5 >>
6 >> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=3&chap=1#doc_chap4
7 >>
8 >> Take a look at PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM. It even can send that messages by
9 >> mail :)
12 > This is all cool, indeed! :)
13 >
14 > I suspect, however, that most users have never played with these
15 > variables. I think that saving this info in the portage db or making it
16 > more default/official in some way could be a great help. The core
17 > problem is, I think, that many users do not know where to look when
18 > having trouble, so they may not even realize that what they need is in
19 > the log info.
20 >
21 > The reason I was phrasing it more in "readme" terms is that most people
22 > can identify with that concept, and it could be made clear that there
23 > exists Gentoo-specific readme info that is always available (regardless
24 > of whether a user sets up the portage logging stuff). The bare log
25 > messages could exist as a minimal default for packages that do nothing
26 > special to provide more readme info.
27 >
28 > -Joe
33 If you have a GUI on your system, give this a look:
34 app-portage/elogviewer That should help you a lot. I been using it for
35 a good while and it works pretty well. I do wish it had little flags in
36 the list of packages that have been installed. Sort of a short and
37 sweet notice there is something there without actually have to look.
38 Maybe a red flag when there is something really serious to know and
39 other colors for other things.
40
41 Anyway, give that a look and see if that helps, if you have a GUI.
42
43 Dale
44