From: linux-dev <linux-dev@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] PPPoE?
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 11:26:27
1 > I need PPPoE support to get online - is the source
2 > installer PPPoE friendly?
3
4 as far as i know, pppoe is not included on the gentoo
5 installer. i used a version of ppp from:
6 http://big.uwaterloo.ca/~mostrows/
7
8 and you can get pppoe from:
9 http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/
10
11 burn them to a disk
12
13 here are some instructions that worked for me...
14
15 (before doing anything)
16 modprobe ppp_generic (if you need to)
17 modprobe (yr_eth_card)
20 (after setting up filesystems and building the archive on the installer)
21 have pppoe and ppp on a cd ready to be copied over.
22
23 from the outside shell:
24
25 mount /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom -o ro -t iso9660
26 mkdir /mnt/gentoo/usr/local/pppoe
27 cp /mnt/cdrom/ppp241pp.tgz /mnt/gentoo/usr/local/pppoe/
28 ((same for rp-pppoe))
29 chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
30 env-update
31 source /etc/profile
32
33 mknod /dev/ppp c 108 0
34 chmod 600 /dev/ppp
35 cd /usr/local/pppoe/
36 tar -zvxf ppp-241-p.gz
37 ((install ppp ))
38
39 unpack rp-pppoe ./go
40 follow setup instructions...
41
42 (exit)
43 ifconfig eth0 up (from exited screen)
44 (chroot back in)
45 adsl-start (from shell)
46
47 exit
48 try ping. if it works...
49
50 reenter. then yr ready for emerge action!
53 good luck,
54 /r