From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Is it time for bash-3?
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 18:03:45
1 Someone gave me a patch to mesa that uses bash-3 features, and it made
2 me wonder how people feel about this. Adding individual deps to each
3 ebuild is weird; I'd prefer to do this at the profile level, in
4 profiles/base/packages. It already contains bash, so we'd just be
5 enforcing a minimal version. baselayout has required bash-3 for nearly 2
6 years, so pretty much everybody ought to have it. At that point, we
7 should be able to use bash-3 syntax where it's useful in pretty much
8 anything besides the bash ebuild itself, and perhaps its deps.
9
10 In a nutshell: Let's change profiles/base/packages from
11 "*app-shells/bash" to "*>=app-shells/bash-3".
12
13 Thanks,
14 Donnie