From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Including a warning to restart daemons after an update.
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 18:40:12
1 On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 13:22:40 -0400
2 "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > >>> What do you think? If its a good idea, is implementing it in an
5 > >>> eclass the way to go?
6 > >> Rather in PM. Portage 2.2 already does some library magic due to
7 > >> preserved-libs, why it can't do something in this area too?
8 > >>
9 > > Yeah seems like something a package manager can implement and
10 > > wouldn't necessarily need anything from ebuilds.
11
12 If the PM is going to suggest restarting services, it /needs/ to
13 revdep-rebuild packages first (and probably implement perl-cleaner and
14 python-updater and so on) or the restart could well fail.
15
16 The reason it works in OpenSUSe is because they distribute binary
17 packages.
18
19 That said, I recently had a deb update on an Ubuntu break installing a
20 package because the attached service failed to restart when it found an
21 incompatible runtime configuration option in /etc.
22
23 > Agreed for the above reason. I'm not too familiar with portage
24 > internals. If this is an easy addition for you guys, do you mind
25 > doing it? Otherwise I'll try to produce a patch.
26
27 app-admin/lib_users has some code you might want to look at.
30 jer