From: Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA Roles v2
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 00:31:48
1 Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o> said:
2 > Just to throw in my 2 cents into this discussion: I'm all against die-ing
3 > during the update process. However, i think that stopping before the update
4 > process would be the best solution at hand. I'd like to propose the addition
5 > of a dedicated USE conflict detection to ebuilds which need it.
6 >
7 > This detection function (for example pkg_prepare()) must be executed for every
8 > package in the depgraph right after the depgraph has been built and has only
9 > the possibility to either mark the package as 'go' or 'no-go'. In case that
10 > any package has been marked as 'no-go', the whole process stops.
11
12 I'd rather see the ebuild marked with some flag to show there are
13 conflicting use flags that have been resolved, and by adding "--verbose"
14 or some other flag, you can see what flags are overridden so the user
15 knows exactly what is going on, and can decide if they like the defaults
16 the ebuild developer has chosen. I think we should give users the
17 choice/information to make an informed decision, but I don't think we
18 should shove a failure into their lap when we can make choices for them
19 which we believe to be sane.
20
21 I'd like less errors/dies during the build/deptree phase and more
22 warnings/information to be presented so the user could look at it and
23 make changes, or just accept what we have done for them.
26 Mark Loeser - Gentoo Developer (cpp gcc-porting qa toolchain x86)
27 email - halcy0n AT gentoo DOT org
28 mark AT halcy0n DOT com
29 web - http://dev.gentoo.org/~halcy0n/
30 http://www.halcy0n.com