From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Recommend cronie instead of vixie-cron in handbook?
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2013 14:43:48
1 Alice Ferrazzi posted on Wed, 25 Dec 2013 15:38:42 +0900 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 2:19 AM, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
4 > wrote:
5 >> rc-update del vixie-cron default
6 >> /etc/init.d/vixie-cron stop
7 >> emerge -C vixie-cron
8 >> emerge cronie
9 >> rc-update add cronie default
10 >> /etc/init.d/cronie start
11 >
12 > I Just did the same, is simple and "drop-in"
13
14 I did it too, a few days ago.
15
16 TL;DR: Drop-in but for the log-spamming. =:^(
17
18 While cronie itself was simple and drop-in for vixie-cron, it DID start
19 rather severely log-spamming, IIRC four log-lines every 10 minutes when
20 the run-crons ran. As a result, while the functionality was drop-in
21 replacement, for the system as a whole it wasn't purely a drop-in
22 replacement, as I had to adjust logging somewhat to kill the spamming.
23
24 An update tweak to my syslog-ng.conf category-cron filter later, and I
25 was down to a single log entry in the general messages log every ten
26 minutes, the other three diverted to my separate cron log.
27
28 The remaining one was an audit entry (type=1006) output by the kernel.
29 Of course I could filter that out or divert it to the cron log too, but
30 first I needed to know the significance. After all, it's not often I get
31 the kernel outputting audit entries.
32
33 A bit of googling later, I found that the type 1006 audit entries I was
34 getting were AUDIT_LOGIN related, due to the way cron changes user to run
35 its various programmed entries. Of course one can turn off the kernel's
36 corresponding audit options, but that affects other things too.
37 Meanwhile, the google turned up some RHEL/Fedora complaints about
38 something similar. Apparently in this case the kernel defaults to log-
39 spamming even if audit logging is generally deactivated. I could try
40 installing an audit tool and configure it to turn that off specifically,
41 but meh, just set a syslog filter for it; the effect is the same either
42 way.
47 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman