From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Revisiting GLEP 81 (acct-*) policies (reviews, cross-distro syncing)
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 16:17:35
1 On Tue, 2019-12-10 at 18:13 +0200, Joonas Niilola wrote:
2 > On 12/10/19 3:34 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > > The problem: There is still no any official documentation about using
4 > > > acct-, and reviewing it was/is pretty much left on the shoulders of one
5 > > > man. It's easy to say on hindsight it was implemented too quickly.
6 > > There is official documentation in devmanual [1].
7 >
8 > The _detailed_ one was pushed 2 hours before I made my post, if that's
9 > what you're referencing now.
10 >
11 > https://gitweb.gentoo.org/proj/devmanual.git/commit/?id=9613e9e69ae16e6981f90135f92811ded641b52c
12 >
13 > How could I have missed it? But yes, it's exactly and finally what was
14 > needed for a long time.
15
16 No, I was referring to the short one. But yes, this one is better.
20 > > Hence my idea that if we stop requiring mailing list RFC, we can replace
21 > > that with obligatory update to uid-gid.txt. It should work good enough
22 > > for synchronization.
23 >
24 > Mmm, yeah sure, I guess it works better for everyone. I can still
25 > imagine someone pushing acct- ebuilds with colliding UIDs, but at least
26 > the CI checks for duplicates right? So committer should receive a mail
27 > to change their numbers ASAP right?
28
29 Yes.
30
31 > While at least with mailing list RFC
32 > there's a small chance it can be prevented (like was done twice last
33 > week), but the process is indeed more annoying and more manual.
36 I wouldn't really call it 'prevented'. Sure, somebody caught it
37 in time, and the other party noticed it in time. However, if we remove
38 the waiting period related to reviews, the risk of collision is much
39 smaller.
40
41 That said, I need to add some pkgchecks for missync between uid-gid.txt
42 and acct-* packages.
45 Best regards,
46 Michał Górny