From: paul <paul@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal: re-organizing our source mirrors into two categories: full and partial
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 11:32:34
1 bdharring wrote:
2 >
3 > On Friday, July 25, 2003, at 09:11 AM, Kurt Lieber wrote:
4 >
5 >> Folks --
6 >>
7 >> I'd like to propose the following reorg for our mirrors. Right now, all
8 >> mirrors are required to carry all directories. I'd like to break that
9 >> into
10 >> two categories: full mirrors and distfile mirrors.
11 >>
12 >> Full mirrors would still be required to carry all directories. Full
13 >> means
14 >> full, after all. :)
15 >>
16 >> distfile mirrors would be required to carry two directories:
17 >> /distfiles and
18 >> /snapshots. /snapshots contains snapshots of the portage tree and is
19 >> used
20 >> by emerge-webrsync for folks that are behind restrictive firewalls.
21 >> Typically, the /snapshot directory is under 250MB.
22 >>
23 >> This gives mirrors who are short on disk space an option to still support
24 >> Gentoo without having to set aside nearly 50GB of space for us. For
25 >> mirrors who do have enough disk space, they can continue to mirror the
26 >> full
27 >> tree.
28 >>
29 >> We will of course continue to work at reducing the overall amount of data
30 >> that we have. However, over time, our space requirements will
31 >> undoubtedly
32 >> continue to increase. This proposal is meant as a longer term
33 >> solution to
34 >> give mirror admins an option on how best they can support Gentoo in their
35 >> environment.
36 >
37 > Going a bit longer term, I'd wonder about adding a mirror classification
38 > that handles just diff's (or whatever format is used).
39 he he, opened my MUA to ask about that this morning ;) I'd love to see
40 portage handle updates as patches to distfiles. Is this feature planned
41 in the near future?
42
43 paul
44
45 > While distfile diff's aren't currently included/existing, I can't help
46 > but believe that this feature will be integrated into portage at some
47 > point, mainly due to the fact people request it and more importantly,
48 > the fact that people are working on this problem.
49 > Also, are you advocating the distfile mirrors carry a *complete*
50 > distfile mirror, or a partial? I'm curious what the space savings would
51 > be...
52 > ~bdh
55 > --
56 > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list