From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins.daniel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some council topics for March meeting
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 09:16:08
1 On 3/3/07, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org> wrote:
2 > > Also, you are at least a developer of PMS, if not the lead. If PMS is
3 > > an official Gentoo project, then since when can official Gentoo
4 > > projects have "non-dev" devs?
5 >
6 > How many non-developers contribute to the tree? How many non-developers
7 > have submitted patches for Portage or eselect?
8
9 It's one thing to make a contribution or submit a patch - it's quite
10 another to be actively and very significantly involved in a key
11 technical project that is supposedly defining an interoperability spec
12 for the key distinguishing feature of Gentoo, namely Portage.
13
14 Right now, you're effectively doing an end-run around the entire
15 Gentoo management structure. Fortunately for you, it doesn't look like
16 anyone cares.
17
18 Really, I find this weird and ambiguous and you should probably be
19 reinstated as a dev or be bumped off of PMS, which should be managed
20 by Gentoo developers only.
21
22 > Again, so far as I'm aware, the only non-tree copyright assignment that
23 > was a requirement was for developers who signed the long-abolished
24 > hideous legal document. If there are requirements to the contrary that
25 > I've missed then I'd like to see them -- as the main copyright holder
26 > for at least one official Gentoo project, this is something that is
27 > extremely relevant to me.
28
29 I'm also very interested to find out about this. I would be
30 disappointed to find that the Foundation has chosen to not fulfill or
31 neglect one of the key purposes for which it was created.
32
33 -Daniel
34 --
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list