From: Chad Huneycutt <chad.huneycutt@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Mysql
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 15:46:56
1 8<-- snip init scripts problem -- 8<
2
3 Clay Mitchell wrote:
4
5 > I just had this problem too. Also with samba... I pointed the functions
6 > link to the correct file, but it's also requesting a doservice function
7 > which breaks. Any ideas on how we can get around this?
8 >
9 > -Clay
10
11 gentoo-rc6 needs different init scripts than rc5. woodchip has updated
12 some of these, but there are still a few hanging around.
13
14 A couple of notes on fixing them, until they are fixed in Portage
15
16 First, change the magic sequence at the top of the file (#!/sbin/...) to
17 #!/sbin/runscript
18
19 Then, get rid of any references to stuff in /etc/rc.d This directory
20 should no longer exist (feel free to rm -r it). In general there should
21 be no need to source external files. Some scripts set some variables
22 outside functions, and it is probably safe to leave such lines. Then
23 delete "doservice ${@}" if it is at the bottom of the script.
24
25 Finally add a depend function, if it is needed. For instance, sshd
26 works best if the network is started, so it has
27 depend() {
28 need net
29 }
30
31 For the most part, the start,stop,restart functions can be left as-is.
34 Woodchip, I know you probably hate this, but it is a quick and dirty way
35 to get those init scripts up and going in a pinch.
38 Chad Huneycutt
39 Ph.D. Student
40 http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~chadh