From: Gordon Pettey <petteyg359@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Removal of CVS headers
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2017 20:12:50
1 On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 1:59 PM, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o>
2 wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 03:05:09PM +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
5 > > As the council has decided in its 2014-10-14 meeting (and confirmed
6 > > again in the 2016-11-13 meeting), CVS headers should be removed after
7 > > the migration to Git.
8 > The 2014-10-14 meeting did NOT specify what CVS headers were in
9 > question, and it was later decided that this was $Header$, not $Id$.
10 >
11 > > Until recently, this was blocked by repoman still checking for the
12 > > $Id$ line. The latter is now fixed in the stable repoman version.
13 > >
14 > > Therefore, I am going to remove the remaining CVS headers throughout
15 > > the tree (except for patches, of course) in two days from now.
16 > This was also discussed in August 2015:
17 > Subject: 'Infra plans regarding $Id$ - official answer...'
18 > https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/
19 > d01ce943a9f9404c454c26bdb7efdf0e
20 >
21 > $Id$ is used by Git as well, and I was a strong advocate that expansion
22 > of $Id$ should be ENABLED in the rsync exports, because it allowed
23 > tracing what version of a file was actually in use.
24 >
25 > In the case of Git, $Id$ expands to the blob hash, which can be traced
26 > to a commit trivially, and several of the council members in the 2015
27 > thread did agree it was useful in that format (but I see no formal vote
28 > was ever taken).
31 Which can also be generated trivially (
32 https://stackoverflow.com/questions/223678/which-commit-has-this-blob),
33 which kind of obviates the need for $Id$.