From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some important questions to the officals of www.gentoo.org
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 23:29:04
1 On Sat, 2004-07-10 at 19:08, Alexander Mieland wrote:
2 > ACK.
3 > it's surely in our mind to provide as much information as we can. I'm also
4 > planning on a second dedicated machine, which has a Pentium 4 with
5 > HT-technology to provide the SMP-part of the merge-times. In the future,
6 > if all is running and the response of the users is good enough, we hope
7 > that we can also provide the merge-times for other architectures than
8 > x86.
9
10 Trust me when I tell you that a P4 w/ HT is *nowhere* near the speed of
11 true SMP. You're better off going with your arbitrary calculations
12 below.
13
14 While I do think this information is useful, I still think the best
15 method is to come up with a new number, rather than time. A good one
16 (stolen from LFS) is the BU or Bash Unit. The time it takes to compile
17 bash is always 1BU.
18
19 SMP is ignored, since it skews the results. So would distcc... The idea
20 is not to even try to give the exact time for emerging things for
21 everybody, but rather to have a strong baseline "average" that hits most
22 people.
23
24 > By the way, as long as we dont have a second machine with smp-support, it
25 > should be possibly to get reasonably accurate results if we multiply the
26 > number of cpus and then divide through a factor like 1.2. You can test
27 > it, it should be reasonably accurate.
28 >
29 > But as I said, we are planning on a second machine with smp and also on
30 > merge-time information for other architectures.
33 Chris Gianelloni
34 Release Engineering QA Manager/Games Developer
35 Gentoo Linux
36
37 Is your power animal a pengiun?
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list