From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Project Sunrise thread -- a try of clarification
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 08:30:26
1 On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 10:27:29 -0400
2 Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
3
4 [lots of good stuff - +lots Chris]
5
6 > Not so many moons ago, new ebuilds were submitted to bugzilla. The
7 > bug wranglers would assign the bugs to the team most likely to end up
8 > as the maintainers, and new ebuilds either made it into the tree, or
9 > sat in bugzilla until the interest was there for it to be added, if
10 > ever. Some people felt that this process left lots of packages in
11 > bugzilla, with no one to watch over them. Because of this, the
12 > maintainer-wanted, and maintainer-needed bugzilla accounts were
13 > created to assist in tracking these bugs/packages. This was a good
14 > idea at the time, and worked fairly well so long as there were
15 > developers going through and actively searching for bugs, that were
16 > no longer assigned to the relevant teams, but instead, assigned into
17 > some big dumping ground for new package requests.
18
19 I think it's clear that the maintainer-wanted/maintainer-needed hasn't
20 actually solved the problem it was trying to address. While it has
21 improved on some counts, I think the fact that herd maintainers
22 are not watching those aliases means that new builds are not being
23 brought to the attention of the devs most likely to take them on.
24
25 Instead of having sunrise on gentoo.org, which I agree with Chris is
26 fundamentally a bad idea, could we simply go back to assigning new
27 builds to the most relevant herd alias, but also add
28 maintainer-wanted/needed to the CC:? That way some responsibility is
29 assigned to the herd to deal with it one way or another. If the
30 herd does not have the manpower to deal with it they can just reassign
31 to maintainer-needed and CC the herd, indicating they need someone
32 to join the group of herd maintainers to take the package on. With
33 maintainer-* on CC the benefits accrued so far from having a bunch of
34 people helping to iron out early QA problems would remain, and at the
35 same time the group of people most likely to pick up the package would
36 also be aware of it.
39 Kevin F. Quinn