From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Solving the problem of huge number of wrong LICENSES=*GPL-[23]
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 11:09:56
1 On 26/08/2018 12:53, Mart Raudsepp wrote:
2 > The common issue here is that upstream COPYING files really do only
3 > talk about one of the versions. And then you get to validate or source
4 > files to be sure that they do have a "or later" clause in them. And
5 > then on each bump you ideally should validate it again, etc, that no
6 > sources without "or later" allowance are in there...
7
8 Yup, precise tracking of license metadata can be a pain.
9
10 I'm not really sure if that level of it is worth for us as a distro. For
11 _importing_ other project's source code directly into one's project
12 precise license compatibility matters a lot. That's not the scenario
13 we're in. I see LICENSES as mostly a mechanism for end users to accept
14 or reject EULAs etc, and I'm curious what are other common scenarios.
15
16 Michał, could you elaborate on why not distinguishing more precisely
17 between these GPL variants in LICENSES is a _problem_ ? I can certainly
18 see the information is not always accurate, but it's not obvious to me
19 how severe is the downside, what are the consequences in practice.
20
21 Paweł