From: Proneet Verma <proneet11@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: GSoC '14 - Improved Cloud Support - Draft proposal
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 18:46:29
1 Hi,
2
3 On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 11:24 PM, Proneet Verma <proneet11@×××××.com> wrote:
4
5 > Hi,
6 >
7 > I am interested in working on the project "Improved Cloud Support<https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2013/Ideas/Improved_cloud_support>"
8 > for GSoC '14; for which I have drafted out my proposal for your kind
9 > perusal here <https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Proneetv/GSoC_Proposal>.
12 Some key points of the proposal:-
13
14 1) Currently, catalyst doesn't have support for building AMIs for cloud
15 services, I would like to add this feature to the Catalyst project so that
16 the releng team can provide Gentoo on AWS using the stages and portage
17 snapshot which can be built with the gentoo-catalyst tool. Here, I would be
18 using ec2-{ api, ami }-tools to script actions on EC2 and basically do a
19 typical handbook install.
20
21 2) Docker is an open source tool to easily create lightweight and self
22 sufficient containers. I would like to enhance the puppet-docker support to
23 spawn containers with the help of Puppet which is an automation tool for
24 system administration. Currently,
25 this<https://github.com/garethr/garethr-docker> has
26 support for Ubuntu and RedHat distributions, so I would like to add Gentoo
27 support into it.
28
29 3) Jenkins CI is a very popular monitoring tool, and as it isn't there in
30 the portage tree I would like to write ebuilds for it and become a proxy
31 maintainer for future support.
32
33 4) I am also looking forward to add binary package support for commonly
34 used packages by cloud users (like nginx, mysql, mongodb etc) as they don't
35 have much CPU to do on system compiling. Also, this can be improvised as,
36 writing Puppet class which can help in sharing packages (portage_binhost)
37 built once across all your systems (compiling once and using it
38 everywhere). Need to put in more thoughts to this part!
41 > Please provide your feedback.
42 >
43 > Thanking you in anticipation.
44 >