From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] portage-2.1_alpha20050718 out
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 17:27:21
1 Hi,
2
3 For all those drooling over their keyboards after reading this topic,
4 please also read the rest of this mail.
5 So yes, finally a portage-2.1 pre-pre-pre-alpha version is out and in
6 the tree (p.masked). However, it's not the 2.1 that some of you might
7 expect as it doesn't have a new dep resolver, so still no use deps.
8
9 Correct, still no use deps.
10
11 However, there was a reason to release a 2.1 witout the new dep
12 resolver. It needs a lot of work not only on the resolver
13 itself, but also most of the other portage code, so it's taking quite
14 some time. And we really didn't want to withold other important and
15 long-awaited features for so long. As there are no release notes yet
16 (did I say that it's a pre-pre-pre alpha?) I'll give you a quick
17 summary:
18 - elog, also known as bug 11359, finally solves the
19 but-I-missed-the-postinst-notice problem. See the comments in
20 make.conf.example on how to use it (open task: write a viewer app for
21 saved logs)
22 - ebuild-daemon, basically a rewrite of the bash subsystem, improves
23 performance and makes it more flexible
24 - verify-rdepend optionally checks link dependencies of packages against
25 their RDEPEND value (open task: add more checks)
26 - everyone not using the ebuild will be glad to hear that portage
27 finally uses autotools
28 - not usable yet, but promising are the new set and transport
29 frameworks, the former also includes the integration of GLEP14
30
31 I probably missed a lot of stuff here.
32 While I call this a pre-pre-pre alpha release it should be generally
33 usable, but doesn't look as smooth as 2.0 yet, so you'll see some debug
34 and error messages, and rarely might encounter a backtrace. Make sure
35 you check the metabug (#102126) for known issues.
36
37 Now have fun with it ;)
38
39 Marius
44 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
45 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.