From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Current Gentoo Git setup / man-in-the-middle attacks
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 16:41:43
1 Hi!
4 For the current Gentoo Git setup I found these methods working for
5 accessing a repository, betagarden in this case:
6
7 git://anongit.gentoo.org/proj/betagarden.git
8 (git://git.gentoo.org/proj/betagarden.git)
9 (git://git.overlays.gentoo.org/proj/betagarden.git)
10
11 http://anongit.gentoo.org/git/proj/betagarden.git
12
13 (http://cgit.gentooexperimental.org/proj/betagarden.git)
14
15 git+ssh://git@××××××××××.org/proj/betagarden.git
16 (git+ssh://git@×××××××××××××××××××.org/proj/betagarden.git)
17
18 Those without braces are the ones announced at the repository's page [1].
19
20 My concerns about the current set of supported ways of transfer are:
21
22 * There does not seem to be support for https://. Please add it.
23
24 * Why do we serve Git over git:// and http:// if those are vulnerable
25 to man-in-the-middle attacks (before having waterproof GPG
26 protection for whole repositories in place)?
27 Especially with ebuilds run by root, we cannot afford MITM.
30 So I would like to propose that
31
32 * support for Git access through https:// is activated,
33
34 * Git access through http:// and git:// is deactivated, and
35
36 * the URLs on gitweb.gentoo.org and the Layman registry are
37 updated accordingly. (Happy to help with the latter.)
40 Thanks for your consideration.
41
42 Best,
46 Sebastian