From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The status of the 'minor' arches in gentoo
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 22:46:56
1 On 02/17/2013 11:03 AM, Agostino Sarubbo wrote:
2 > In the last time I'm helping some other arches (also arches which I have no
3 > interest) because they appears understaffed.
4 >
5 > Days ago, I tried to make a virtual machine with qemu, for SH since the dev-
6 > machine[1] is a bit slow; well, I discovered we have no ISO[2] available and
7 > there is no handbook[3] for it.
8 >
9 > The same thing is for S390/S390X/M68K/. So how I am able to install one of
10 > that _supported_ arches if there isn't any sort of guide?
11 >
12 > An interesting fact is that we have an handbook for MIPS[4], a declared
13 > unsupported architecture (does not make sense for me).
14 I am supporting mips for the Lemote loongson2f and for the Atheros
15 AR7161. I'm trying to get my hands on a godson and Stuart will be
16 sending me two fulongs, which you can add to that list. Don't let the
17 fact that MIPS is a ~arch fool you. I don't think we should make it a
18 fully supported arch because of the number of ISA's and ABI's and
19 endiannesses (if such a word exists). It is impossible to test for all
20 combos which is what stable should mean.
21
22 So don't even think of dropping MIPS! Just leave it ~arch and I'll give
23 it love.
24
25 As far as the other arches go, I'm interested in: amd64, arm, mips, ppc,
26 ppc64 and x86.
29 > Another example is that we have no stable keyword on GCC/glibc for m68k and I
30 > don't know if I need to use another compiler or another libc.
31 >
32 > Checking on bugzilla I saw no report for some of those arches, so for me that
33 > _partially_ means that probably there are very few users for those arches on
34 > gentoo.
35 >
36 > Now, imho, we have 2 choice:
37 >
38 > 1)Support them with an iso or at least a manual if we can't do an handbook
39
40 ISOs don't make sense on all hardware. Eg. I offer an netboot image for
41 the lemotes.
42
43 > 2)Lose the stable keyword and don't waste manpower anymore.
44
45 I agree, but please keep at least the ones I mention above. Other devs
46 may have different ideas.
49 > What do you think about?
50 >
51 > Ref:
52 > [1]: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/infrastructure/dev-machines.xml
53 > [2]: http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/where.xml
54 > [3]: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/#doc_chap2
55 > [4]: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-
56 > mips.xml?style=printable&full=1
60 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
61 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
62 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
63 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
64 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA