From: John Mylchreest <johnm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE="minimal" for kernel sources
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 20:41:59
1 On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 22:14 +0200, Jan Kundrát wrote:
2
3 > Er, but why is this a problem? Does it matter that the package will
4 > install different files on x86 than on mips? Or am I just overlooking
5 > the point?
6
7 In general, there is no obvious technical reason against individual
8 installs differing from one another, however from a support and QA point
9 of view it makes it a much less trivial issue. At the end of the day,
10 when it comes to USE=minimal no-one can fully confirm what does, and
11 does not exist (can cause breakages may I add) when it comes to
12 supporting a bug, and also we can't promise it wont destroy an arch tree
13 which you need. I'm thinking obscure (or not quite so) architecture.
14 Pegasos, Sun, Sparc, SH, arm, etc.
15
16 Although Kbuild is more than capable of functioning with only the
17 required arch tree, what happens when it comes to things like
18 cross-compile, not just of the sources but of anything else which might
19 use them later on? ipw2200? nvidia? alsa-drivers?
20
21 Just a bit of a worry to me, and not something I would really like to
22 endorse.
25 Role: Gentoo Linux Kernel Lead
26 Gentoo Linux: http://www.gentoo.org
27 Public Key: gpg --recv-keys 9C745515
28 Key fingerprint: A0AF F3C8 D699 A05A EC5C 24F7 95AA 241D 9C74 5515