From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Improve the security of the default profile
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2013 12:38:13
1 On Thu, 5 Sep 2013 13:09:51 +0100
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, 05 Sep 2013 12:13:28 +0200
5 > Agostino Sarubbo <ago@g.o> wrote:
6 > > during an irc debate, me and other people just noticed that the
7 > > default profile could use more flags to enhance the security.
8 > >
9 > > An hint is here:
10 > > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ToolChain/CompilerFlags
11 > >
12 > > Please argue about what we _don't_ use.
13 > >
14 > > Note: please CC me in your response.
15 >
16 > Security does not come from the compiler. There is no compiler flag
17 > that magically makes insecure code secure.
18
19 That depends on how you define insecure code; if you define that as
20 excluding code which compiler flags can deal with, then I would agree.
21 But in general compiler flags like these can at least help.
24 With kind regards,
25
26 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
27 Gentoo Developer
28
29 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
30 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
31 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D