From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 54 and hyphens in PV
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 17:01:20
1 >>>>> On Mon, 18 May 2009, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, 18 May 2009 06:59:36 +0200
4 > Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
5 >> AFAICS, there _is_ an ambiguity. You can have the following two
6 >> ebuilds in the tree, simultaneously:
7
8 >> ${PORTDIR}/app-misc/foo/foo-1a-scm.ebuild
9 >> ${PORTDIR}/app-misc/foo-1a/foo-1a-scm.ebuild
10
11 [Added some context back to your quotation of my posting.]
12
13 > There's no ambiguity. It means what we define it to mean.
14
15 Maybe it's possible to do that for dependencies, but VDB entries and
16 binary packages for above two examples would still collide.
17
18 So the conclusion still stands:
19
20 >> The conclusion is that GLEP 54 in its current form is not
21 >> implementable.
22
23 Hyphens within PV are a Bad Thing, and we should really think about
24 replacing the separator for "scm" by something else, like a period or
25 an underscore. For example, the following two would be unique:
26
27 ${PORTDIR}/app-misc/foo/foo-1a_live.ebuild
28 ${PORTDIR}/app-misc/foo-1a/foo-1a-live.ebuild
29
30 With our current versioning scheme the rule is very simple: ${P} is
31 split into ${PN} and ${PV} at the last hyphen. This can be done in a
32 straight forward way by regexp matching, and I would really hate to
33 lose this nice property.
34
35 Ulrich