From: "Sébastien Fabbro" <bicatali@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ICC Profile
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 14:17:11
2 Hash: SHA1
5 On Thursday July 17, Adam Stylinski wrote:
6
7 > Pro's:
8 >
9 > 1.) Bloody fast machine code. Intel obfuscates their architecture
10 > but they give back to the community as much as possible to make their
11 > hardware marketable toward the open source sysadmin, developer, etc
12 > etc. Their drivers are open and they develop for the kernel
13 > constantly. This cooperation leads me to believe that they would
14 > assist a team of developers in making 100% icc compatible code.
15
16 Gentoo is not supported from Intel, and they had not plans doing so. As
17 of October 2007, I asked their Software channel whether Gentoo
18 users have similar support as RedHat or SUSE users and the answer was:
19
20 "No, we have no current plans to support Gentoo. Also, Gentoo is NOT a
21 derivative of a Linux we do support. My understanding is that it is
22 independently derived from Kernel.org. Thus it is less likely to work
23 than a distro which is a derivative of a supported distribution.
24
25 Meanwhile, Debian/Ubuntu got support, so things might change if
26 Gentoo re-becomes/remains popular. Any Intel dev reading this list,
27 please contact us.
28
29 And as Luca mentioned, having sunstudio, xlc (is this one free?) or llvm
30 would not make Intel a privileged case for Gentoo.
33 > 2.) Bloody fast compilation time. In my experience the compiler
34 > works much faster even with heavy optimization.
35
36 I don't experience this that much, but I really don't use it much
37 either. Would be nice to have benchmarks here.
40 > 4.) will project gentoo toward the power user more, helps the gentoo
41 > image, and overall will make linux a more professional operating
42 > system (and a quite competitive alternative to something like a
43 > SPARC+Solaris configuration). This would also make cluster farms and
44 > science application more respectful toward the gentoo community. The
45 > academic and research world already uses ICC to compile their apps
46 > for the sake of speed. The interprocedural optimizations for both
47 > the fortran and c/c++ compilers make it a must.
48
49 I would be careful about this, and this needs benchmarks, especially
50 with gcc > 4.3. By default icc flags are fairly agressive. For example,
51 for many scientific applications, you don't want a simple -O2 where you
52 loose floating point precision. Add -mp or -mp1 to your icc flags, add
53 some decent gcc flags, and improvement over gcc is much smaller.
54
55 > 5.) It's free, albeit a commercial product. As gentoo is entirely
56 > non-profit, there is no restriction when it comes to licensing. The
57 > binaries won't be sold for the intel-compiled livecd, and the
58 > compiler itself with a fetch restriction allows the user to legally
59 > register for their free non-commercial license.
60
61 Again, as long as you're not being compensated for doing it (for Gentoo
62 I'm not).
63
64 In summary, I'm completely in favor of trying projects like this, but
65 first, this needs a few benchmarks before going further.
68 - --
69 Sébastien
77 éí¢‡^¾X¬¶ÈžÚ(¢¸&j)bž b²