From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] libpcre.so.3 - Compatibility with Debian
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 17:28:36
1 On 08/11/2016 11:32 AM, Mart Raudsepp wrote:
2 > Ühel kenal päeval, N, 11.08.2016 kell 11:23, kirjutas james:
3 >> Whilst devs are discussing the future of Valve's offerings on
4 >> gentoo,
5 >> it'd be wise to consider the effects of "Vulcan" as it is FOSS where
6 >> all
7 >> video card vendors can inter-operate with multiple game vendors.
8 >> Vulcan
9 >> will impact those gaming codes, as Vulcan seems to be the clear
10 >> pathway
11 >> forward for Valve related to Open Source communities [1 3].
12 >
13 > I have no idea what Vulcan is, besides the race in Star Trek or Roman
14 > god, but Vulkan is tracked in https://bugs.gentoo.org/574886 and Intel
15 > support in https://bugs.gentoo.org/580148
16 >
17 > I was going to look into it as well on basis of Intel Vulkan with
18 > dota2, but on that machine Steam doesn't even work anymore due to
19 > https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/4537
20 > so got rather demotivated. Basically a case where having a fully
21 > working setup without steam runtime should also fix it. Current main
22 > machine has Radeon Evergreen and so no current Vulkan implementation to
23 > play with.
26 > Mart
29 All of this is a moving target, for sure. This is dated but here
30 is some more info. Surely there will be consolidation and back-porting
31 of codes to make the linux vulcan drivers more useful to the FOSS
32 communities, I hope. I'm just not sure when this will happen and I would
33 not be able to offer guidance, hence, I have filed no bugs on Vulcan.
34 I'm not really up on the latest of what's working either.
35
36 My main issue it to use the GPU resources of all video cards, with
37 compilers and on clusters, at some point, in the future
38
39 http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=search&q=Vulkan
42 hth,
43 James