From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gratuitous useflaggery (doc and examples)
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 15:45:32
1 On Saturday 04 March 2006 17:15, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > Hi Ciaran,
3 >
4 > On 3/4/06, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o> wrote:
5 > > Explanation: a USE flag for trivial stuff that isn't in /etc, doesn't
6 > > slow anything down, doesn't introduce any dep bloat and generally
7 > > doesn't change anything noticeable isn't a USE flag that's giving the
8 > > user any meaningful choice or making things easier for arch teams. You
9 > > do not get bonus points for using more USE flags.
10 >
11 > Another point of view are servers, where there's simply no need to
12 > have docs installed on each and every box in a rack. There's no need
13 > to install what a user doesn't need, and having doc and example USE
14 > flags more widely supported means that Gentoo does a better job of
15 > respecting the choice of users.
16
17 I agree with Ciaran. IMO the convenience of having docs outweighs the modest
18 amount of diskspace/clutter they need (average of 50 MB on my average server,
19 when then rest of the installed packages take at least an order of magnitude
20 more).
21
22 If you're concerned about diskspace you can filter out /usr/share/doc
23 entirely, so users do have the choice. The problem here is that the docs USE
24 flag is off by default. Making more packages use the flag would install less
25 docs. Has anyone actually complained that too many docs are installed by
26 default? It's true that some users/situations don't need them, but most do,
27 especially as long as we don't have separate server profiles.
30 Dan Armak
31 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
32 Public GPG key: http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key
33 Fingerprint: DD70 DBF9 E3D4 6CB9 2FDD 0069 508D 9143 8D5F 8951