From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gtk3 useflag and support of older toolkits
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 18:53:33
1 On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 20:41:37 +0200
2 Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
3 > > No, your goal is to provide a distribution. Gentoo has repeatedly
4 > > shot itself in the foot, leg, groin etc by favouring short-term
5 > > hacks over a well thought out, validated, self-enforcing design.
6 > > Right now nearly all of the package manager work is on paying off
7 > > previously incurred technical debt, and in the mean time you're
8 > > busy adding to it.
9 >
10 > The problem here is that we (or, at least, I) are a bit unsure about
11 > how this could be handled better and, then, try to use that better
12 > way in the future. If you (or any) have some suggestion, it would be
13 > nice :)
14
15 It is handled better by working out what exactly the problem is, and if
16 you can't implement it nicely using existing features, then not
17 implementing it at all until you have suitable features.
20 Ciaran McCreesh