From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: revisiting our stabilization policy
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 20:00:01
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > I get what you're saying, though there is still a cost to leaving the
3 > bug open to years. In this case it means an old package stays in the
4 > tree marked as stable. That either costs maintainers the effort to
5 > keep it work, or they don't bother to keep in working in which case
6 > users get saddled with issues.
7
8 Since it's not possible to force anyone to keep old packages working
9 when the rest of a system has been upgraded this is hard to solve.
10
11 If reality is that a package is in the tree but there is no stable
12 version which works in an otherwise updated system then I think it's
13 accurate to have an open bug.
14
15 If nobody makes the package work then there seem to be two options;
16 either leave the bug open until someone makes things work again,
17 or to remove the package from portage and close the bug as WONTFIX.
18
19 But even if a given package is removed from portage the old stable
20 version is still installed on the user's system.
23 //Peter