From: Thomas de Grenier de Latour <degrenier@×××××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some suggestions
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 22:23:46
1 On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 16:58:39 -0500
2 Brian Harring <bdharring@××××.edu> wrote:
3
4 > Eh, wouldn't hold or be particularly accurate, mainly since I/O, proc
5 > speed, and available memory (let alone if another job is running in
6 > the background and hogging cycles) are too many variables (imo) to try
7 > and factor out.
8
9 I still think it it would be accurate enough for an "emerge -u world"
10 progress indicator. The goal is only to show that sometimes, while you
11 are still on update 1/10 after 2 hours, it doesn't mean 18 hours remain.
12
13 > Someone a while back had a setup such that they parsed the makefile,
14 > figuring out the number of actions (gcc calls, ar calls, mv/cp/install
15 > commands), and tracked progress that way. Strikes me as the better
16 > way, although some packages weren't able to be parsed correctly
17
18 I've post a link my previous to a forum thread about this feature. Sure
19 it is what should be used (if it can be debugged) for a particular
20 package compilation progress bar.
23 TGL.
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list