From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: removing dhcpcd from system???
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 22:49:56
1 Ciaran McCreesh posted <20040927225631.628b169a@××××××××.home>, excerpted
2 below, on Mon, 27 Sep 2004 22:56:31 +0100:
3
4 > On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:41:30 -0700 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
5 > | it shouldn't be installed, for security reasons.
6 >
7 > What security reasons would those be?
8
9 Just the usual basic don't install what you don't need, and you have fewer
10 things to worry about having exploitable holes in them, concept. (Didn't
11 I read someone on this group/list claiming that Gentoo had a no
12 unnecessary daemons policy, just yesterday?)
13
14 I thought the "if it's not needed, it shouldn't be installed for security
15 reasons" was clear enough. However, upon rereading, I guess it /could/ be
16 taken that there was something more specific to worry about, tho I didn't
17 say there was, from what I wrote.
21 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
22 temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
23 Benjamin Franklin
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list