From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: turning off a default compile option
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 16:29:47
1 Joshua Brindle posted <40E97B48.4060904@g.o>, excerpted below, on
2 Mon, 05 Jul 2004 12:01:12 -0400:
3
4 > Now then, about LSM.. Capabilities are still hard coded into the kernel
5 > if you do _NOT_ use LSM (ie: selinux). That means every single Linux
6 > kernel has capabilies enabled and available. Once LSM is enabled the
7 > capabilities module takes over cap handling. This is why we recommend
8 > (strongly!) that the capabilities module be enabled with selinux.
9
10 I do not believe that's the case any longer. Capabilities are now an
11 option in the mainline 2.6 kernels, I believe under
12 Linux-security-modules (what you referred to with LSM?), but disable-able
13 without enabling anything else.. They can be built-in, compiled as
14 modules, or left out entirely.
15
16 Here, I compile them/it as a module (and I don't compile SELinux,
17 either.. I don't believe it's an option, at least for vanilla AMD64
18 kernels, yet), but have it set to auto-load, both in Mandrake and in
19 Gentoo, because BIND does indeed need them as compiled by both
20 distributions, and I do run it.
24 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
25 temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
26 Benjamin Franklin
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list