From: "Yuan Liao (Leo)" <liaoyuan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: new gradle.eclass
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2023 18:53:09
1 While I warmly appreciate and welcome any effort to improve support
2 for Java build systems on Gentoo, I also wonder what functionality
3 ebuild authors who are creating a Java package might expect from an
4 eclass called "gradle.eclass".
5
6 I'm not doubting this eclass's usefulness -- to me, it looks like a
7 convenient eclass when a Gradle project's dependencies are vendored
8 and included in SRC_URI. Specialized eclasses are totally fine as
9 we've already got plenty of them in the tree. But I think what an
10 average Java ebuild author often wants is an eclass with which they
11 can just declare all dependencies of the Gradle project in *DEPEND
12 variables, and rely on the default pkg_* and src_* functions from the
13 eclass to do the rest, with no or only minimal overrides necessary.
14 They might trust the eclass to introduce any Java dependencies
15 installed by Portage to Gradle, invoke the build system, and finally
16 install the JARs built.
17
18 Maybe we will be lucky enough to have such an eclass in the future.
19 But should we add a remark to the eclass's description to warn that
20 this might not be the generalized "gradle.eclass" suitable for
21 packaging most Gradle-based projects, if that is what people would
22 believe a "gradle.eclass" would do for them?
23
24 Leo3418
25