From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Update of http://wwwredesign.gentoo.org
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:22:18
1 On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 01:40:45AM -0500, Curtis Napier wrote:
2 > If there are no more outstanding issues reported I will submit this
3 > current layout for approval.
4
5 there's still a ton of wasted space in the purple bar ... if that was
6 tightened up, more news could be displayed ... having the last two or
7 three news items on the front page is pretty helpful imo and would
8 help to offset all the space created by the large ad sidebar
9
10 > The artwork is all part of the winning design. Any issues with the
11 > infinity symbol should have been addressed a year ago.
12
13 well it clearly wasnt, might as well cover it now before the site goes
14 live ... as i pointed out, considering its location, this means that
15 our new logo basically becomes gentoo with an infinity sign
16
17 > I actually implemented a search that used google much like the example
18 > that was posted here. The search was discussed at length with the
19 > project lead and it was decided that using a third party search engine
20 > such as google was unacceptable.
21
22 why ? we all know google is great and the implementation would be both
23 cheap and quite usable
24
25 > Gentoo is a not-for-profit but,
26 > unfortunetly, it is the wrong kind of non-profit so Google will not
27 > sponsor us.
28
29 i dont see why a simple form redirect to google would require any sort
30 of sponsorship ... the thread fork to hardware at google was weird
31 anyways
32
33 > *all extraneous information and decorative news headers were removed
34 > from the front page to help readability and to bring focus to the
35 > information. This includes the cow image and text. Overwhelming amounts
36 > of information on the front page should no longer be a problem. This
37 > also brings the jumppads closer to the top so new users will be better
38 > able to spot them.
39
40 seems like everything was cut ... now the frontpage is just a simple
41 site index page ? i liked the simple cow/about blurb myself
42 -mike
43 --
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list