From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Cc: Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: virtual/init for init process
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2018 18:54:31
1 On 04/27/2018 11:43 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 2:18 PM Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Actually, if things like sys-apps/s6 or sys-process/runit remain as
5 >> choices for virtual/init, this isn't going to solve the problem of
6 >> sys-apps/sysvinit being removed by emerge --depclean. In fact, if
7 >> virtual/init is not in the system set, then emerge --depclean will not
8 >> even warn about removing a system package when it removes
9 > sys-apps/sysvinit.
10 >
11 > Well, at least we don't have to worry about users accidentally uninstalling
12 > openssh, nano, or e2fsprogs (too bad if they use any other filesystem
13 > though). :)
14 >
15 > In general we don't have a great way of telling portage what we're actually
16 > using when various packages do more than one thing. If you have busybox
17 > installed you could conceivably remove a lot of other packages, but most
18 > users don't actually intend for this to happen.
19 >
20 > A USE flag that just pulls in a dep seems like the least evil solution
21 > unless somebody wants to come up with a more general one.
22
23 A general solution might take the form of a standard interface for
24 interaction between eselect modules and package managers, as discussed
25 in this bug about telling the package manager which kernel you're using:
26
27 https://bugs.gentoo.org/283587
28 --
29 Thanks,