From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] IBM article of interest ?
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 08:51:54
1 080716 Josh Saddler wrote:
2 > Philip Webb wrote:
3 >> I'm not sure whether anyone among Gentoo officials cares about this,
4 >> but IBM has an article
5 >> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-awk1.html
6 >> whose byline is very misleading & may infringe on Gentoo's IP.
7 >> I have submitted a comment to IBM via their form.
8 > Uh, this article really *was* written by drobbins some time ago.
9 > It's okay. It's all perfectly legal; in fact, check out
10 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/articles/
11
12 Yes, it looks as if someone at IBM simply copied it from there,
13 where it is indeed marked "updated".
14
15 > I and some other folks GuideXMLified the original developerWorks articles
16 > and republished them on gentoo.org with permission, eg the URL you posted:
17 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/articles/l-awk1.xml
18
19 Yes, that's it.
20
21 > No need for the alarm, folks. Simmahdownah.
22
23 There remains an error in the IBM page above & the Gentoo doc version,
24 ie the URL given for 'Gentoo Technologies Inc' is 'www.gentoo.org'.
25 Whether the author still maintains GTI in New Mexico isn't clear
26 (there's another 'GTI' in Blacksburg VA , which makes databases etc),
27 but even if so, its Internet site is not the same as Gentoo Foundation's:
28 this needs to be corrected by the maintainer of Gentoo docs & by IBM.
29
30 One would also assume that the author has a more direct e-address
31 than the forwarding address at Gentoo still given in the article
32 & the personal details seem to be 8 years old (eg "new baby"):
33 those also would better be updated or deleted.
34
35 In contrast with traditional printed media -- press or advertising --
36 the Internet is often less precise & therefore can be seriously misleading:
37 there is a lot of out-of-date information lying around
38 & no-one to take responsibility for it.
39
40 So no alarm, but cause for a couple of updates when time permits.
44 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
45 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
46 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
47 --
48 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list