From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic.sk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Stable Staleness (mostly toolchain)
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 23:02:07
1 Alec Warner wrote:
2
3 > Another class of packages I wish to discuss (not remove quite yet, just
4 > talking ;) ) are older packages with stable markings. By Stable I mean
5 > debian stable, IE we stabled it in 2004 and no one has touched it since.
6 >
7 > Do these packages still work with a current system (linux 2.4/2.6,
8 > glibc-2.3/2.4, >=gcc-3.4, etc...
9 >
10 > So partially this is a question for gcc porting, how many *known broken*
11 > apps don't get fixed when we upgrade and stable a gcc version.
12
13 Depends how much notice we get ahead of time. Things like 'btw we want 4.1
14 stable for 2006.1' two weeks in advance tend to create more havoc than usual.
15
16 > Do these stay in the tree, and do they have deps on older versions of gcc
17 > (effectively masking them, since old versions of gcc generally get masked by
18 > profile eventually).
19
20 Most major archs have at least some version of 3.3 and 3.4 available in stable.
21 Sometimes even 2.95, and some lucky winners have 4.1 in ~arch. amd64 has 3.3
22 masked for some reason i don't understand, and other arches might too. i'm just
23 going off of what eshowkw tells me.
24
25 Unless there's a very good reason, older GCC versions shouldn't be punted
26 because it's extremely useful to be able to test your code on a variety of
27 different compilers.
28
29 > How many apps are just sitting in the tree and no one knows if they
30 > compile at all with a recent system?
31
32 Once I'm through with them, hopefully none. ;) I know of a couple packages that
33 won't compile with GCC 3.3, but for most I have a patch or workaround. libmpeg3
34 is one, can't remember any others off the top of my head.
35
36 > I think also that genone's Gentoo-Stats project would be a great
37 > information aggregator as we could identify packages that no one uses
38 > anymore.
39
40 +1
41
42 > Anyway, these were just some thoughts I had about trimming the tree a
43 > bit; feel free to rip em apart as always :0
44
45 BTW, I'm interested in joining the Tree Cleaners project once my dev stuff goes
46 through, if it's cool with you.
47
48 --de.
51 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list