From: foser <foser@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gtk2 use flag must die
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 22:31:46
1 On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 15:28 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > last time i recall following the gtk/gtk2 stuff, the idea was that in the
3 > future to move to a gtk/gtk1 situation ... but this was back when Spider was
4 > The Man, so i guess people forgot about that
5
6 That was never the case. We actually saw the gtk2 flag only as a
7 transitional tool during the initial release of gnome 2, too bad it
8 stuck around as long as it did.
9
10 > > it should be more the question, if there's anyone supporting
11 > > Gtk1 upstream with regards to security issues etc..
12 >
13 > and when such a situation arises, the solution may to simply drop the optional
14 > support. such a situation has not arose, so using such hypothetical examples
15 > is meaningless.
16
17 Already security related issues have been dropped by upstream for the
18 simple reason that it hasn't been maintained since the day gtk went
19 2.0 . The only reason there has been some minimal support are the bling
20 distros like RH and the fact that Debian was stuck in the stone age.
21 Let's be realistic, if an application hasn't been ported to gtk+-2 yet
22 it is not maintained or it is an internal to some commercial business.
23
24 I don't think gtk 1 will leave the tree soon, but at least we can try to
25 make it unneeded on most users systems.
26
27 - foser