From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Let's redesign the entire filesystem!
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 15:23:21
1 On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 03:08:27PM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 08:04:31 -0700
3 > Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
4 > > Not always, no, it isn't obvious that something didn't start up
5 > > correctly, or that it didn't fully load properly. Some programs later
6 > > on recover and handle things better.
7 >
8 > So why not work on fixing those things, since they're clearly symptoms
9 > of a larger "oops, we have too much coupling" problem, instead of
10 > forcing a workaround onto large numbers of users?
11
12 I seriously doubt there are a "large number" of users here that have
13 this issue.
14
15 And even if there is, again, there is a simple solution that Gentoo
16 provides for this issue, see the earlier initrd solution that we support
17 today.
18
19 As for "fixing this", see the oft-linked webpage as to why it can't be
20 fixed easily, if at all, and honestly, I don't think it needs to be
21 fixed.
22
23 Especially as NO ONE has ever stepped up to fix these issues, which
24 proves that no one is really invested in it.
25
26 As for "too much coupling", you are talking to the wrong person.
27 Personally, I feel we are too lightly coupled, and need to have stronger
28 links happening here in order to properly solve the problems that we
29 have in this area.
30
31 If you disagree with the coupling issue, fine, but again, you need to do
32 the work, and properly understand the issues involved. The people doing
33 the work today do understand them, by virtue of doing the work involved,
34 which gives them the say in how it is done. That's how open source
35 works, why is this ever a surprise to people?
36
37 I'll go back to lurking now, and getting stuff done, like everyone else
38 on this thread should be doing, instead of complaining (this is -dev,
39 not -users...)
40
41 greg k-h