From: Jason Rhinelander <jason@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [IMPORTANT] server/client USE flags
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 00:44:15
1 On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 16:17, Donny Davies wrote:
2 > Further, you are overloading the intended function of USE variables.
3 > Instead of controlling optional build-time functionality, now you
4 > are abusing them to control optional install-time bits.
5 >
6 > It is not natural to stop at "client" and "server" flags either.
7 > What about "dev" for .a and .h things? This is really going down
8 > the slipperly slope in my opinion.
9
10 Not to mention the fact that you could easily want the MySQL server &
11 client, but only the Samba client. Does this mean you'd have to have
12 "mysqlserver", "sambaclient", "sambadoc", etc. USE flags? Or would you
13 juggle around with your use flags for various packages, preventing you
14 from being able to emerge -u world? This is actually a greater problem
15 - per-package USE flags would be wonderfully USEful (pardon the pun) in
16 many other situations.
17
18 The only logical way I can see to do this is splitting everything up
19 into multiple packages, i.e. mysql-server mysql-client, mysql-docs,
20 samba-server, samba-client, samba-docs, etc. - and I really dislike that
21 approach (I'm against the vim-core/vim/gvim split as well), for the
22 reasons mentioned above (and the fact that "updating portage cache"
23 after an emerge sync takes long enough as is without shattering packages
24 7 or 8 ways each).
25
26 > Donny
27 --