From: Eric Jahn <eric@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Timeframes for Gentoo to Become a Non-profit Org?
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 16:31:37
1 I wish to know what has been done towards Gentoo achieving non-profit
2 status. I think it is crucial for the gentoo system to become
3 non-profit, considering the volunteer support it receives. This
4 question is directed at Gentoo management.
5
6 Most non-profits start their work and declare themselves as non-profits
7 before getting an IRS Employer Identification Number/Tax ID as a
8 non-profit. Why hasn't Gentoo done the same?
9
10 My questions are what are Gentoo's self-imposed deadlines for non-profit
11 status?
12
13 Who in the government on what date has been contacted so far, and what
14 forms have been filed, could a copy be posted on the web?
15
16 Every non-profit has a mission. What is Gentoo's 501(c)3 mission?
17
18 Gentoo has a management structure. 501(c)3s have boards. Who is on the
19 Gentoo Board?
20
21 Who is drafting the non-profit bylaws?
22
23 I will gladly undertake the administrative task (except for signing of
24 course) for Gentoo management if they need some help with this stuff.
25
26 As a frame of reference on the timelines, I have seen non-profit teen
27 pregnancy centers with one half-time volunteer register themselves for
28 non-profit status within about a month.
29
30 Thanks for spending time responding to this. Thanks!
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list