From: Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New ALSA maintainers
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 15:20:43
1 So, maybe this is a boneheadedly obvious thing, but having just spoken
2 with Daniel about this, I'll just summarise my findings.
3
4 I, for one, was always using alsa-driver for my new Dell laptop. As it
5 turns out, Dan has the identical laptop, but he's always been using the
6 in-kernel driver. I always just chalked it up to "well, Dan's just
7 leeter than me in matters of kernel things anyway, so yeah." Then one
8 day, I walked over and I asked him what I was doing wrong in my kernel
9 config. You know what it was for me? I saw that I had intel audio
10 hardware, so I kept configuring intel8x0. As soon as I activated
11 hda-intel, it was all good.
12
13 Now, obviously that was just me being stupid and ignorant, but there are
14 possibly a couple more issues. One is that if you've emerged
15 alsa-driver for your kernel, and then recompile that kernel, you're
16 possibly mixing two types of alsa drivers in the /lib/modules directory
17 which would definitely lead to brokenness.
18
19 So my challenge to those having problems: try it out on a fresh kernel
20 and report your bug.
21
22 And, please let's dispense with this "forcing" people to do anything.
23 There's no such ultimatum at work here, please don't jump to erroneous
24 conclusions.
25
26 thanks,
27