From: "Ilya A. Volynets-Evenbakh" <iluxa@g.o>
To: Josh Ockert <torstenvl@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Apache build
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 18:11:51
1 Josh Ockert wrote:
2
3 >I'm new here, more of a user than a dev. really but I wanted to ask
4 >about Apache's default configuration -- it took me a few minutes to
5 >realize what was going on, and I was just wondering why Gentoo's
6 >Apache has to be so different from everyone else's.
9 Eh??
10
11 >IMO, the point to building a distribution is to be the best you can be
12 >-- so unless there's a very good and specific reason for making people
13 >change *two* blocks in the config files just to move the document
14 >root, I think it's doing more harm than good.
15 >
16 >(For those who don't follow, <Directory /> has a Deny from all
17 >directive, and then the *actual* path to the *default* DocumentRoot is
18 >Allow from all... so the original Deny directive AFAIK doesn't have
19 >any effect (since you can't get above the document root anyway iirc).
22 1. In this respect, Gentoo is not any different then any other sane distro.
23 2. You *can* go outside DocumentRoot. Think ~user, think Alias.
24 Most important - think FollowSymLinks....
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list