From: Brian Harring <bdharring@××××.edu>
To: "Derek J. Belrose" <derek@×××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GUI installer
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 09:41:11
1 While I think an X based installer would be nice, I think we might benefit
2 from first doing up a cli based installer first... at the very least, we
3 would need a cli portage viewer/manager, which would be a nice package on
4 it's own...
5
6 Something also I thought about (and have been playing with), is having
7 essentially a two stage process for the installer- basically everything prior
8 to the chroot, and then everything after. Why? Well, it would be nice to
9 have the first half of the installer handle all the fdisking, untarring, etc.
10 >From there, it chroots, emerge syncs and emerge portages, then pulls down the
11 newest version of itself, and runs that.
12
13 >From there, if we wanted we could probably setup some simple equivalent of a
14 quicky binary x server/svgalib for a x based installer. Meanwhile, if we
15 have at least a basic cli installer setup, that would be immediately useful
16 for the cd's, and w/ an update capability, we could push a graphical
17 installer down to the user once we have it ready...
18 Thoughts?
19 ~harring
20 bdharring@××××.edu
21