From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [PR] ivy, mvn, sbt, gradle builders improvement for ebuild development
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2020 15:31:55
1 On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 07:50:13AM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2020-04-20 at 16:04 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > Your proposal seems to completely go against how the go ecosystem operates,
4 > > but if you can come up with a proof-of-concept for how it would work
5 > > without forcing a lot of busy work on us that would never get accepted
6 > > upstream, I'll take a look.
9 > Define 'busy work'.
10
11 Busy work, to me at least, is work that generates a large amount of
12 overhead compared to the gain it offers the distro and will never be
13 accepted by upstream.
14
15 > Is doing things right 'busy work' vs taking shortcuts?
16
17 This depends on what you think "doing things right" or "taking
18 shortcuts" mean. For example, I have had discussions with maintainers who
19 are fine with writing patches to fix issues without reporting the issues
20 upstream. Personally, I disagree with this approach.
21
22 > Is it 'busy
23 > work' that I'm putting a lot of effort into fixing Python packages?
24 > Should I just last rite them all and tell people to use virtualenv?
25
26 This gets into the other issue being discussed on the thread, but I have
27 heard people say that yes you should. All we really need in portage is
28 the base python tools -- the language, maybe pip and maybe setuptools
29 and portage itself, then everything else should be installed via pip.
30
31 > Is testing packages 'busy work'? I suppose it's all easier when you
32 > just silently include 240 dependencies without testing a single one of
33 > them and call it a day. Sure, you run some tests on the final package.
34 > Leaves 240 untested, some of them likely failing tests and requiring
35 > 'busy work' to fix them.
36
37 In general I would say no, but I have run into tests that do not tollerate
38 portage's sandbox, tests that take hours or days to run, or tests that
39 require root privs. We don't force those kinds of tests to be run in src_test.
40
41 > Is security support 'busy work'? I suppose it's all easier when you
42 > ignore them problem and let security team deal with it (except they
43 > won't). Sure, you can assume that when vulnerability is discovered, all
44 > upstreams will eventually learn of it, update their bundled dependencies
45 > and *maybe* inform people that their code might have been indirectly
46 > vulnerable (but would they do the 'busy work' of discovering whether it
47 > affected them or not?).
48
49 In my experience, the security team doesn't write patches to fix
50 vulnerabilities, so what they do wouldn't be any different in this case.
51
52 > I realize Go is not isolated here. It's just brought as one major
53 > example. Rust is no better. All these shiny 'write and forget'
54 > languages share the same problem. Pay for some work hours, get
55 > a working product, deploy it and forget unless customers want more
56 > features.
57 >
58 > Today these languages are still young and the problems can be considered
59 > largely theoretical. But some day -- well, unless all the cool kids
60 > manage to move on to next shiny new language before then -- this will be
61 > a major catastrophe.
62
63 We can talk about theoretical issues in languages all day, but if we are
64 going to do that we also have to talk about how terrible and permissive
65 c is. You can google things like "security in c" and you will find that
66 since it allows you to do exactly what you want, it is a major
67 catastrophe in terms of security, but we accept new applications in c
68 without any questions.
69
70 Also, what about the nightmare that is php?
71
72 In short, I don't see any reason to bikeshed about theoretical issues in
73 languages.
74
75 The way I see Go and Rust specifically is, more and more things are
76 being written in these languages, and if we don't accept them, we will
77 become irrelivent fast.
78
79 William