From: Alexander Gretencord <arutha@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some suggestions
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 11:09:24
1 On Sunday 07 September 2003 10:19, Troy Dack wrote:
2 > > 1. a very precise documentation with examples about the user settable
3 > > things for make.conf thats accessable via a standard command, like man
4 > > make.conf or info make.conf
5 >
6 > How imprecise and unaccessible is:
7 >
8 > nano -w /etc/make.conf
9 >
10 > All settings are commented, and commented well, and it's available using
11 > standard commands (you could even use ed or a combination of cat, less,
12 > head & tail if you really wanted to)
13
14 You are right, make.conf is quite well commented in the file itself. But Jan
15 is also right :) man is _the_ standard way of looking something up. I am all
16 for documentation in the config file itself, that's especially useful if you
17 have a big file with many options _but_ gentoo has a general problem with
18 documentation. Nothing responds to a 'man xyz' in gentoo or if it does, the
19 information is outdated. I think that's one serious disadvantage.
20
21 Nobody likes to write documentation, I know, but it is necessary. As Phil
22 Richards pointed out somewhere else in this thread: "I don't like running
23 commands as root that neither have a man page nor respond to "-h" or
24 "--help"."
25
26 > "Gentoo moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once and
27 > awhile, you could miss out."
28
29 Oh, too true. Somewhere in time fixpackages was added. I was told to run it.
30 Ok but what's it good for? Either portage should run it on its own, if it is
31 necessary and I can't do anything about it and _not_ tell me anything _or_ if
32 it tells me about it and even tells *me* to run it, then have some
33 documentation. It has no man page, not even one telling to use info, nor does
34 it respond to -h or --help. No documentation at all and that sucks elephants
35 through key holes. I had to search through the forum to find out what it
36 does. Documentation is one of the big problems of gentoo.
39 Alex
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list