From: "Jeffrey D. Kowing" <jeffrey.d.kowing1@××××××××.gov>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Fwd: gentoo.org reorg (GDN/GUN)]
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 17:19:06
1 Peter Ruskin writes:
2 > On Thursday 19 Sep 2002 20:30, Steven Stillaway wrote:
3 > > Putting ACL's on the developer content is completely counter
4 > > productive in an open source project IMHO.
5 > >
6 > > Putting restrictions will just curb the growth of the Gentoo
7 > > developer community with no real benefit.
8 > >
9 > > If you want to put ACL's on publishing to the GDN then that makes
10 > > sense, but not for reading and accessing.
14 I too strongly agree that it is important to avoid restricting the
15 visibility of Gentoo development. I think it is critical for Gentoo's
16 healthy growth and development that developers and especially
17 potential developers and contributors are able to see clearly the
18 discussions and directions that Gentoo intends to take.
19
20 I think the more visible the process the better, because it tends to
21 encourage participation and help move Gentoo users into becoming
22 Gentoo developers. Nobody wants to contribute to a black box. And,
23 like the distribution itself, it would be wonderful for Gentoo to
24 operate in as open a manner as possible. I don't think there is
25 anything to fear and everything to be gained by doing so.
26
27 I just don't see anything to be gained by restricting read access and
28 all this registration stuff - on the contrary, I think it will greatly
29 hurt Gentoo's potential for developing a strong user/developer
30 community.
31
32 Also, and I have very little knowledge about all of this, but I've
33 always respected the integrity of the Debian community. Shouldn't
34 they also be a case study. Or am I completely missing something
35 (wouldn't be the first time) ?
36
37 And, as always, thanks for everyone who contributes to this great
38 distribution.
41 Of course, these reflect only my little old opinions and not those of
42 my employer. - Jeff Kowing, jeffrey.d.kowing1@××××××××.gov