From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: hardened glibc and gcc dependencies
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 16:50:54
1 Paweł Hajdan, Jr. posted on Thu, 27 Oct 2011 18:08:36 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 10/27/11 11:03 AM, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
4 >> In glibc: DEPEND="gcc[hardened?]"
5 >> In gcc: PDEPEND="elibc_glibc? glibc[hardened?]"
6 >
7 > I even got an OK on #gentoo-hardened, but I just realized that EAPI-0
8 > (that both packages in question use) doesn't allow use deps like
9 > [hardened?].
10 >
11 > I guess bumping the EAPI on those packages is not an option (is it?), so
12 > I'm going to do some more experiments to see if there are more possible
13 > problems.
14
15 AFAIK, it's an option, but a tough one. But as with profiles, at some
16 point it's worth considering whether holding back on toolchain EAPI bumps
17 is worth it any longer. It'll need to happen eventually, and AFAIK, for
18 a system without EAPI-1 or 2 or whatever, portage is already borked.
19 Same with the tree in general, since a bash of that vintage isn't going
20 to parse certain ebuilds due to the bash 4.1 thing.
21
22 Actually, but for the patience of toolchain maintainers, that bump might
23 have already happened. So I guess it's sort of up to them, tho getting
24 the blessing of council on something that big is probably a reasonable
25 idea. But that's probably a good idea for moving toward hardened by
26 default anyway, so I don't see that as a huge block.
27
28 I'm reminded of the move to cascading profiles... Plus the bash 4.1
29 thing. At some point, you just accept current reality and move on. But
30 toolchain's say will matter a lot. If they don't believe it's time to
31 leave EAPI-0 for gcc and glibc, I don't think it's worth pushing against
32 them on their own packages.
37 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman