From: Arun Raghavan <ford_prefect@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [enhancement proposal] Per-file Manifest GPG signatures
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 08:27:32
1 On 3 October 2010 13:28, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I would like to propose a new attempt at Manifest signatures. Instead
5 > of using a single per-Manifest signature, we would keep separate
6 > signatures for each of the files, as an additional (optional) hash
7 > type.
10 > Motivation
11 > ----------
12 > The current signing approach gives all the responsibility for Manifest
13 > signature to the developer who committed last update to the ebuild
14 > directory regardless of the actual commit significance.
15 >
16 > Consider the following: Dev A is the primary package maintainer. He/she
17 > reviewed all the ebuilds and committed a signed Manifest. Then Dev B
18 > performs a slight cleanup of the ebuild directory. He/she modifies
19 > metadata.xml a little and/or removes an old ebuild.
20 >
21 > The actual ebuilds weren't modified -- yet Dev B has to sign all
22 > of them once again. Moreover, if Dev B doesn't use Manifest signing,
23 > the signature from Dev A is lost.
24
25 If we make the GPG signatures mandatory at some point of time, that
26 addresses the second of your concerns. I do not understand why the
27 first a problem - could you clarify?
28
29 Cheers,
30 --
31 Arun Raghavan
32 http://arunraghavan.net/
33 (Ford_Prefect | Gentoo) & (arunsr | GNOME)