From: Christopher Schwan <cschwan@××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage QOS
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 14:12:54
1 Hi,
2
3 you motivate your proposal by claiming the Gentoo Project stagnates which you
4 relate with its decline in popularity:
5
6 > According to Linux Counter
7 > http://web.archive.org/web/20120101000000*/http://linuxcounter.net/distribut
8 > ions/stats.html
9 >
10 > In January 2012, Gentoo distro had 5.32%
11 > In January 2012, Gentoo had 4.04%
12 > In November 2013, Gentoo had 4,21%
13 >
14 > And from my experience of Gentoo forums, gentoo.wiki - I vote for Gentoo at
15 > least not gaining new users. If in several years the number of users is not
16 > increased - we can tell about stagnation.
17
18 But let me ask this question: Is the number of users really that important to
19 Gentoo? Since it does not strive for world domination I think all that matters
20 is to keep the current userbase happy. From your thread I do not understand
21 whats wrong on that side:
22
23 > For various reasons many techs were not implemented and now Gentoo is in a
24 kind of stagnation.
25
26 What do you mean by that in particular? And what is wrong with
27 bugs.gentoo.org? Wouldn't it be better to talk about how attract more
28 developers? I guess a lot unsolved bugs stem from the fact that there are too
29 few that can take care of them.
30
31 Cheers,
32 Christopher