From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Killing UEFI Secure Boot
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 00:26:46
1 On 06/21/2012 06:51 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 3:10 PM, Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
3 >> Roy Bamford wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> So when you build a dud kernel and flash your BIOS with it, and we
6 >>> all build the odd dud, your motherboard is bricked.
7 >>
8 >> Any firmware modification has potential to brick, and shouldn't be
9 >> done unless you are comfortable with the modification, or with
10 >> solving a brick problem. :)
11 >
12 > So, why are we still going back and forth about this?
13
14 This idea has technical merit and it has sparked a very insightful
15 discussion in which I learned many things that I did not know. My
16 original intention in emailing the list was to learn such things, so my
17 email has fulfilled its purpose.
18
19 My email has also led to an interesting off list conversation between
20 myself and Peter about this. I believe that the exchange of ideas that
21 this prompted has been mutually beneficial. My hope is that our
22 discussion catalyzes improvements in both Gentoo and coreboot.
23