From: Thomas Mueller <mueller6724@×××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: dropping support for uclibc-ng
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2021 11:08:56
1 > I'd like feedback from people about the possibility of dropping support
2 > for uclibc-ng. If you are unfamiliar, its the successor to uclibc as a
3 > C Standard Library for embedded systems, ie a replacement for glibc
4 > bloat. However, it is inferior to musl which serves the same purpose
5 > and which has now well supported in Gentoo.
6
7 > I know people want musl support, but does anyone even care about
8 > uclibc-ng? If not, I can work towards deprecating it and putting what
9 > little time I have towards musl.
10
11 > Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
12 > Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
13
14 Are you the only Gentoo developer working on musl and uclibc-ng?
15
16 One thing I might try with a Gentoo uclibc-ng system is convert to musl or glibc using crossdev.
17
18 From what I see on the internet, there is more support for musl than uclibc-ng, and more people working with musl than with uclibc-ng.
19
20 There is a musl-cross-make cross-toolchain that can be built from non-musl or even non-Linux.
21
22 https://github.com/richfelker/musl-cross-make
23
24 From what I have seen, musl looks more promising than uclibc-ng, and more user- and developer-friendly.
25
26 Unless somebody wants to take over uclibc-ng for Gentoo, I say better for you, with your limited time, to drop uclibc-ng in favor of musl.
27
28 Tom